BMW k1200s 2009

BMW k1200s 2009

Enter the K 1200 S, with its Hayabusa-beating claimed power of 167bhp and such gadgetry as electronic suspension. Not to mention the traditional BMW hideous paint scheme.

I was really looking forward to riding the new bike in Germany with its unrestricted speed limits and neighbouring Austria with its twisty Alpine roads. To start, I select ‘comfort’ suspension mode in the car park via the bar mounted button and, despite a hefty breakfast of some odd looking sausages, I leave the rear spring preload in one-person mode.

Out of the car park and I decide to whack it open in first gear to see if I can encourage the 167bhp to either leave a decent black line or hoick the front up. Disappointingly, not a lot happens. The bike accelerates forward but, rather than the tyre shredding thrust I expected, it feels stifled and although it makes reasonably good progress it is nothing like the kick you get from a Hayabusa, ZX-12R or even a Blackbird. It almost feels restricted and there is a slight pause between the throttle being opened and the acceleration starting. Being a BMW, it will pass all emissions tests until the natural resources of the world run out, so my first thoughts are that this may be the cause of the slightly lacklustre motor.